The Home Economics Department has 2 full time members of staff: Mrs Martin (Head of Department) and Miss Mills.
We have 2 modern, well equipped kitchens and a textile room. Each room has an interactive smart board. In the Broad General Education phase pupils have opportunities to complete both practical cookery and textile work. In the Senior Phase we offer a wide variety of National Courses.
In the BGE we cover experiences and outcomes related to Health and Wellbeing and Technologies. In S1 pupils come to the department for 1 period of Home Economics per week. This is split equally between food related activities and textile work. In S2, the time allocation is increased to 2 periods and pupils complete 3 units: Healthy Choices, Design and Make (Textiles) a Technology in the Kitchen unit. In S3 we offer Health and Food Technology, Practical Cookery and Early Learning and Childcare options for 2 periods a week
In the Senior Phase, pupils can choose to continue their studies in any of the courses offered in S3. We also offer a wider achievement course in Food and Health, where pupils can achieve a REHIS certificate.
HFT Course Information
Practical Cookery Course Information
Early Learning and Childcare Course Information
Continuous formative and summative assessments are used to track and monitor pupil progress throughout all years.
Regular homework plays a vital role in the development and consolidation knowledge and skills in Home Economics. All homework issued is directly related to the work of the class and helps to reinforce learning.
For practical courses, part of pupils’ homework is to ensure that they are prepared for practical work.
All Year Groups
- Suitable for S1 - HE S1 Unit 1 revision – level 3
- Suitable for S1 – S3 -A range of recipes are available on the Home Economics page of the school website
- Suitable for S1 – S3 - www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zgfc7ty
- Suitable for S1 – S3 - www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zj97sbk
- Suitable for S4 – S6 – www.nutrition.org.uk
- Suitable for S4 – S6 – www.food.gov.uk
- Suitable for Nat 4 Practical Cookery- www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/47433.html
- Suitable for Nat 5 Practical Cookery - www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zhtsr82
- Suitable for Nat 5 Practical Cookery - www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Hospitality+Practical+Cookery&level=
- Suitable for Nat 5 Practical Cookery - www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/47439.html
- Suitable for Nat 5 Practical Cake Craft - www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zhtsr82
- Suitable for Nat 5 Practical Cake Craft - www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Hospitality+Practical+Cake+Craft&level=
- Suitable for Nat 5 Practical Cake Craft www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/56929.html
- Suitable for Nat 5/Higher Health and Food Technology- www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Health+and+Food+Technology&level=
- Suitable for Nat 4, Nat 5/Higher Health and Food Technology- www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45738.html
- Suitable for Nat 5/Higher Health and Food Technology www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zt6ngk7
In response to the EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation 2014 St John’s Academy Home Economics Department have, where possible, provide recipes for our courses. Please have a look over these recipes and if you have concerns please inform the Home Economics department, in writing, as soon as possible. Expectations for practical work.
- Getting Ready to Cook
- Getting Ready to Cook (Polish recipes)
- Coconut Buns
- Coconut Buns (Polish recipes)
- Healthy Eating
- Healthy Eating (Polish recipes)